Wanna know how?
Angels make for an easy “star of the show” – and they don’t require a lot of complementary elements to pull off the theme.
Angels, from simple styles to elegant, are perfectly happy adding their silent presence to our homes…
decorating our Christmas trees…
and attending our holiday dinners.
They’re an easy graphic for Christmas cards and invitations…
Angels are important to the Christmas story because they played important roles in the early family story of Jesus:
- An angel appeared to Zechariah and foretold the birth of John the Baptist who would prepare the way for Jesus. (Luke 1:1-25 and 39-80; Matthew 3:1-16)
- The angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and foretold the birth of Jesus (Luke 1:26-38)
- An angel appeared to Joseph and foretold the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:18-25)
- A heavenly host of angels appeared to shepherds and announced the birth of Jesus (Luke 2:9-14)
- An angel warned Joseph to take his family, leave Bethlehem, and flee to Egypt (Matthew 2:13)
- An angel told Joseph it was safe to leave Egypt and return to Nazareth (Matthew 2:19-20)
Can you imagine getting to be the angels who broke open the night sky and told the shepherds of Jesus’ birth? Wow!
Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
If you were to do an Angel theme, how would you interpret it? Glitzy? Ethereal? Rustic? What elements would you use?
You might also like:
By the way… The first photo is of a painting by the art instructor at Hope Unlimited for Children‘s Hope Mountain campus in Vitória, Brazil. It’s amazing in person!
This post is part of the Themes of Christmas series. If you missed previous themes, they’re all available HERE … and we’ll keep adding new themes every day through the end of the December. You can sign up to get new posts delivered via email.